This morning I was a good girl. I drove 30mins to town at like 6am and went for a run/walk in the interest of keeping fit for netball. It took some real effort to bust my eyes open and get out of bed so I was pretty proud of myself.
Yeah probably not something I'll do next week. You see it was dark. Yesterday was the shortest day here so it was like uber dark. There are street lights of course and I had my head lamp for extra light should I need it. So I'm running....ok ok so I'm walking along this street right (my calf was sore from netball so I was less than keen to actually run more than needed) and I come to the place on the corner where I'm about to turn onto the next street. I hear a noise from the house on the corners car shed so I look over and notice that the roller door is up about a foot or two. I look again and I 'think' (and this is really a 'think') I saw someone crawling out from underneath the door. I mean it might have also been a dog or something totally innocent but it was dark and like 6.45am so you can see where I'm coming from. Anyway I freaked. Kept walking around the corner looked back and saw what I thought was a person (or dog or whatever!) skulking passed a bush in the garden. Then I totally freaked and sprinted, sore calf and all, down the street and around onto the next street. Thank god the street was downhill lol. It really gave me a fright.
Needless to say I spent the remainder of my walk plotting what I would do if it was actually a person and they had followed me. My plan involved screaming, bashing him in the nuts then running to the nearest 'safe' looking house..that is a house with lights on.
I told people about it at work one asked if I'd been to the police but I didn't see much point until this afternoon when we had a police officer at our staff meeting talking about drug issues then I kind of felt the need so I spoke to her afterwards.
And my freakish day didn't stop there. While I was racing down that street a dog was loose (no it didn't come from that shed) and ran away then stood on the road and barked at me AND as I neared the end of my walk a really dodgy man was walking up the street on the other side of the road then crossed to my side. Given my earlier experience I freaked a little again.
Then to top it off I was driving home tonight and met a truck and trailer on the worst corner ever. Our road is very rural and narrow in some spots. The trucks sometimes veer into the oncoming lane when they round corner. Not cool when your option to get out of the way is a muddy ditch and clay bank. Thankfully I saw the lights coming and realised it wasn't a car so slowed right down so we didn't meet on the corner.
Phew it's been a day and a half.
And just now the Fella has called me to say he's probably not coming home because after spending the day picking up a vehicle from Utamagoot (that's a made up town by the way it is not a crazy Maori name for somewhere in NZ lol) he's now with his friends drinking. I'm a bit pissed as in cheesed off not intoxicated. I realise that I should be happy he rang and is being sensible but it unsettles me.
I don't think I'll sleep well tonight.
Do you feel the paranoia growing?! Lol!! In summer I love getting up and going for a run just as the light begins to take the edge off the darkness. There are a lot of walking tracks around where I live but some are quite isolated, surrounded by growth and creek etc. Freaks me out running through there and probably plain stupid but the adrenaline hike is awesome with some dance music. Keeps me kicking!! :-)
ReplyDelete