Friday, 22 October 2010

Sometimes when it rains it pours...

Tonight my Mum rang. On reflection I could tell something wasn't right. She has this voice that she puts on when she has bad news. Its the voice she used to tell me at 9am one sunday morning that my brother had crashed his car and had been DIC'd for it. Its the voice she used when my grandfather had an anerysm (and survived) and the voice she used when my grandfather was diagnosed with cancer. Its a voice she has used countless times since I've lived away from home. Its a voice where she tries to behave where everythings ok but there's this serious tone. Its a voice I've come to know and not enjoy hearing.

So she has 'that voice' on but I carried on a bit of a prattle first then asked how she was and she says she has some very bad news and I won't like it one bit. Cue the thoughts of...who's a) died b) dying c) gravely sick. Then cue the thoughts of oh no Dad! (but I think we must've already discussed what dad was up to so that didn't happen) then next Grandma? or maybe Mum!!? (she'd just recently had some tests done re her lady bits but they're ok) then my list slowly dies out as I tune back in (this all goes on within seconds I must add and I do it everytime I get a phone call with 'that voice').

My aunty - her sister found a lump the size of a golf ball on her breast. A freaking golf ball!!! That's huge. She hadn't been checked in a long time and the doctor thinks its been growing for 2 years! Please check your breasts!!! She is having both breasts removed next week then having chemo and a scan to ensure it isn't anywhere else. My poor Aunty!! Its just devastating news yet I haven't cried. Normally I would but I really wanted to be strong for my mum.

The other dumb thing is that this weekend one year ago my Grandfather (mentioned above) who is the father to Mum and Aunty passed away quite suddenly but expected. I say that because he had been diagnosed with cancer a week before and when we visited him he seemed like he might have a few months in him then within 48hrs passed away so expected but sudden.

To top it off my Aunty lives in Australia. So my mum is planning on going over once the chemo starts but isnt' sure when.

Argh! So much crap going on I don't know where to look.

Thanks goodness its the weekend and a long one! I know my Aunt will get better she will come through this. She overcam endo to have 2 children naturally after MANY failed IVF's this lady is determined. She will get better!

1 comment:

  1. Oh I'm so sorry!
    Your attitude is great though - send her good vibes, pray for her and keep focusing on the fact that they are doing things for her now to help.
    Please keep us updated and I hope tomorrow brings a better day.

    ReplyDelete