Wednesday, 11 May 2011

I always wonder..

Yesterday I stood in the supermarket checkout line with my two items waiting to be served. As I waited I looked around at who else was in the shop. Then I caught a glimpse of an ex-students mother. She was pregnant. Very pregnant. I turned away and thought to myself wtf? Not wtf in a 'why not me' wah wah pity party way either. More like why is it that the people who a least able to support their children because of lack of funds or of actual know-how are the ones so damn fertile?

I realise I'm making huge generalisations and assumptions AND I'm judging books by their cover because I don't really know their journey but its how it seems. I mean seriously I see it all the time at my job. Families who can barely feed their children just seem to keep on popping them out. They come from low socio-economic backgrounds life is tough. Not often you hear of people in this situation struggling fertility wise.
Are fertility issues purely limited to people who live comfortably? I doubt it but I'm interested to know. I'm as naive as the next person and talking out my butt really cos I don't know shite really.

I guess what I'm stabbing at is that it 'feels' like the people who actually plan, save money, prepare themselves mentally/physically etc are the ones who are punished if you wish with fertility issues. It just doesn't seem fair.

I dunno - just what I think anyhow. Would love to know what you think...

Nothing much else to report. Put in leave for our trip but won't hear till end of the week if I got it or not. Well actually they only tell you if you didn't get it so no news and good news.
Till next time peeps xx

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lovely,

    Thank you for your comment. -huggles- I do have access to a midwife through my OB until the 6-8 week mark. Problem was that she wasn't able to do a follow up as quickly as we've needed but there is finally someone else coming out tomorrow. I'm not sure they are going to be able to offer me much more than what I've already been given from the previous midwife and the GP but at the moment I am happy to hear any new angle and tell anyone who will listen...

    As for your observation, I concur... It certainly would seem that way. There is certainly a few suburbs that seem to breed prolifically while siphoning tax payer dollars from the government. But I guess we also tend to make assumptions about everyone we see and we also assume that if we are reading a blog of a bleeding infertile heart that they are totally in the position to have a have a child and are well prepared for it.

    Umm ok my brain is no longer functional and whatever point I was going to make has fled. So I announce me retirement from this comment for today. Blah.

    ReplyDelete