Monday, 7 March 2011

Women's Day

Tomorrow (8th March) is Women's Day. I think this is an International thing but not 100% sure. So we're in our morning briefing at work - which funnily enough despite the name is rarely brief - and someone pipes up that tomorrow is Women's Day and there's a breakfast on at the local Cafe for Mothers and Daughters or Mothers without Daughters and rah rah rah. I switched off.

Can you guess why?

Inside I was furiously wanting to shout out rude things about the fact that sure I'm not a mother with a daughter heck I'm not even a mother but as sure as the vagina in my knickers I AM A WOMAN!!!!!

I AM WOMAN HEAR ME ROAR!!!!

Phew luckily I managed to not let it bother me to the point I felt the need to speak out of turn. I just turned to the ladies next to me who both were saying the SAME thing. One has only sons and the other is childless like me. They had the same feelings. In fact my friend said "Isn't that what we have mothers day for??" I had to laugh.

Anywho later in the day one of the ladies organising the thing came to ask if I was coming to breakfast. I declined.
I totally realise that the intent was not to offend and honestly believe that the person speaking at the meeting had wires crossed and if I'm honest it did not really upset my day.

It did however make me think....nothing like food for thought to kick off your day huh?

So to all those women out there...the ones who aren't mothers to daughters or sons yet or who can't be a mother yet or don't want to be a mother yet.

You are WOMEN loud and clear celebrate what makes you...you!

I AM WOMAN HEAR ME ROAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

No comments:

Post a Comment