Sunday, 13 March 2011

Preserving

One of my favourite memories from my childhood is watching my mum make jam, stewing apples, making plum sauce or pickle. I used to hate the smell of the sauce cooking and the flies but the sun was always shining (it was summer after all) and the world was carefree.

This weekend I have been a domestic goddess (I really should be a wife by now). I've cleaned the house, worked in the garden, mowed the lawn, made bread and preserved to my hearts content.

I started with pickle made from courgettes and marrows from my garden. Then I bottled up the beetroot too. That was yesterday. Today I've made more pickle and are now in the process of bottling and stewing apples. Its tiring work but I am loving it. I would love us to become one of those households that is pretty much self-sufficient. Its a dream I'm holding onto until we have children. I want to create happy memories for my children like the ones I have from my childhood.

In my dreamworld I wouldn't have to work full time and could be a house wife with an amazing vegetable garden and a pantry full of preserves to die for. My house would be tidy and clean and organised. There would be baking in the cupboards and beautiful dinners to eat at night.

Thankfully dreams are free. And one day this dream will be reality.

1 comment: