Ugh! Had one of those days at work today.
First of all yesterday I did a diagnostic test on a child who is about to turn 6. We do this whenever a child turns 6 to gauge their rate of progress during their first year of school. The results weren't that wonderful. They were awful actually. This kid hasn't made much progress despite being reasonably 'on to it' in most senses. I just think we haven't unlocked his potential yet. He's really fidgety and easily distracted but interested enough in working hard. Anywho after completing the test we write up a short report outlining the results and send it home to parents. I made it pretty clear that this child has a lot of work to do to get to where he should be.
Anyway I sent that home today. After school I happened to run into his mother and mentioned how well he was doing with our swimming lessons (he's gone from clinging to me for life or death to being able to kick with a float and not need me to hold him - he's short so can't touch the bottom) anyway she started talking about a note she'd sent to school regarding writing (a note I failed to see/get) and how he just spent hours writing words and yet last year barely filled two books at school (he was in a different class). She also ranted about how last year his teacher was focussed on getting him to write the letters of his name correctly but she believe that it was a waste of time because he'd known how to write his name since kindy..etc etc. Totally has an inflated idea of what her child can do. So evidently she will now see the report I had sent home and I have no doubt be knocking on my door in the morning for some explanation. Great. At least I have the data and evidence to show what exactly he can do. I just hate this side of my job.
Second of all. Yep there is more. This afternoon in class my child who has aspbergers took exception to what another child said and tried to bite him! I luckily was watching and managed to grab him away before he actually connected. I sat him down, away from the others then made sure the 'victim' was ok - which he totally was and it barely phased him. Anywho I had a stern talking to the biter and made him apologise. I also wrote a note home to the 'victim' and spoke to the biters mother after school. Anywho the 'victim's mum happens to be a great friend of mine so she rang me tonight to talk about what happened and express that she and her partner were a bit pissed off. Not at the school nor myself but more that her child had that happen to him. Its complicated and a long story but she has an education background so knows what its like but is also coming from the parent angle. Long story short she's coming to see the principal tomorrow just to make her concern heard and help build a case for ongoing support for this child. I just feel terrible and I hate when waves are made. I know I did the right thing in speaking with both parents - it would be a whole lot worse if I hadn't and the kid went home and said something.
Although it doesn't feel a little like a mountain out of a mole hill, however I guess I was in the room and it was like a 2min bit of our day but for a parent its that one thing to focus on.
So there. I emptied my bubble well and truly for ya'll. I'll keep stewing for sure. I know I've done nothing wrong and have acted as I should have. I'm a bit soft when it comes to confrontation though. Will be a good test I suppose.
No comments:
Post a Comment