My fella and I often joke about the fact we're not pregnant yet. Like all the time. In fact even in a serious conversation we'll drop in a wisecrack ttc related. I say 'we' but most of the time its him and sometimes depending on where I'm at in my cycle me lol.
Just last night we were discussing our sex life (joking around like normal) and I told him AF would be here by next weekend. He replied 'or maybe not'...and cracked up laughing. He's always joking around that his 'balls are broken'. I guess its just got to that point that if we don't use humour its going to be a sad life.
I know his jokes are covering for the fact that he worries. He admitted that he's worried about money and what we'll do when I finally get pregnant and go on maternity leave. I pay for all the household bills...food, telephone, internet, sky tv, power etc he pays the mortgage and his business bills. So as soon as I stop having money he'll have to pick up the slack. The first 6mths should be ok and I have quite a bit of money put away that we can use but it won't last forever. Its his typical way ...worrying about money. I swear he does the math in his head EVERY day he goes to work...he can calculate interests rates on borrowed money faster than I can type it in the calculator. So his bean is money. I just told him that as much I would like to spend lots of time at home with the kids that's obviously if I needed to work I jolly well would and we will get by. I also said that if he wanted to be a stay at home dad we could job share and that I would work when he didn't have work on.
Totally jumping the gun clearly cos heck there ain't even a hint of a baby in the oven haha.
Dunno. Guess it depends on your school of thought. I tend to believe that it doesn't hurt to crunch the numbers before it happens so you've got a pretty good idea whether you can do the SAHM thing or whether it will be back to work after a month or somewhere in between with a little part time or casual. For most of us working class folk, there is never going to be a brilliant fantastic time to lose an income and money will always be a source of stress, but I reckon the degree experienced can be buffered a bit by having a skeleton plan for when the time comes. IMO. (yes...WHEN the time comes)
ReplyDeleteXxxx
It's never too early to plan! :-) Hubby and I aren't even back to TTC yet, because we're waiting for a bunch of test results, but I'm already setting it up so I can stay with the baby - and I'm the main breadwinner. My trick is to go the freelance route now and build enough of a client base by the time I'm preggo to work from home. I actually made my hubby sit down and write out a budget with me for a household with a one-year old so that we can have a target income. I'm crazy like that. I think every family needs just one. :-)
ReplyDelete