Wednesday, 4 January 2012

New Life

Today I got to hold the most precious little thing ever created. Ok I might be going over top there...all babies are the sweetest thing out but this one was only hours old. And she belongs to one of my most treasured friends.

New Year's day saw me head off again on a wee roadie to see some long time uni friends. The one I was staying with was about to pop any day. She ran a sweepstake as to when this baby would come, size and sex. She wasn't due until the 6th but I figured murphy's law would see to it that this baby would be born the day after I left (I was leaving today, the 4th, so that meant the 5th).
Imagine my delight when yesterday the whole labour business kicked into gear. It was so exciting!!! I've never hung out with anyone going through labour so it was all new and dare I say it for the observer not really that fun. Not that I thought it would be for neither observer nor participant anyway but yay know I just didn't really like seeing her in pain. Most of the day the contractions were 10mins apart and weren't much to worry about we even went out to dinner with our other friends. By the time we got home (we came home after her and her husband) they were 4-5 apart and really bad in her back. Another friend and I hung out with her for a couple hours then went to bed and left her in the capable hands of her husband. It wasn't long after that they went to the hospital (midnight) then at 4.12am their little girl was born!!

They didn't know what they were having and already have a boy so were kinda thinking that they would just have another boy so were rather surprised when out popped a girl.

Oooooh its so so so exciting. Anywhoodle this afternoon I popped into the hospital to see her on my way home. She looked shattered as you would after spending more than 24hrs awake and in labour then not having a chance to sleep yet after the birth. I was allowed to have a cuddle straight away. She was 9.1lb born so a reasonable size but so much like her daddy and adorable. I could have eaten her lol.

Naturally hanging out with all these friends who have children, especially one that was pregnant and one recently given birth meant lots of baby talk. I mean lots. The fact that 2 other friends (currently overseas) are also UTD didn't help. BUT it was actually fun not depressing. Believe it or not. All my friends are aware of our situation so I could talk to my hearts content, although didn't really feel like it much. They also gave me renewed hope (yet again) that this will happen for me. Just little comments like 'It'll be you one day', only small but made a difference.

I can't wait to join their club!!

2 comments:

  1. Kudos to your friend for going out to dinner and not screaming with every contraction! And so glad you were there for it. How exciting! Now that you've seen it, you're super prepared!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! :-) There is something very special about holding a newborn. I remember with my niece it was like time stopped and a blanket of peace just descended around me. Xxx

    ReplyDelete