Friday, 13 January 2012

Meeting the Fella

Again I can't remember if I've ever posted about this. If I have then oops and if I haven't well its long overdue isn't it.

7yrs ago this month I moved to where we currently live. I was not long out of uni, needing a job and randomly flicking my CV to jobs all around the country. I was single so free to come and go as I please. Looking back now I can't believe I actually was brave enough to do it but I was. Anywho I got a job at a little school which was lovely. Moved here about a week before I was due to start work and settled in.

In the december prior I had met a few of the locals (this is a small rural community) at their xmas party so I kinda knew some people but I was also shy so unless invited I didn't really put myself out there. Luckily I was well looked after and was only really lonely for the first week (I was living alone). At the end of my second week one of my neighbours, one of 3 guys living up the road, called in and picked me up for the evening. He already had a GF so there were no misintentions he was just being neighbourly. Anywho it was this night that I first met the Fella. We went to another persons house and he was there too.

Sparks did not fly. There was no 'moment' we just met and I remember thinking he was a bit of an alright but far too old for me (LOL!!!!!). I also for some reason got an inkling he a girlfriend so he was so far off my radar he wasn't even visible.

My how quick things can change. Evidently the next 6wks were the most social of my life and every weekend I was off doing one thing or another. In amongst that time was the Fella's birthday. I remember this night sooooo clearly, probably because I was sober and he was not lol. He stopped by my house and mentioned it was his birthday and that everyone was going to the local and I should join them. I asked him to give me a ride (I was shy and didn't want to arrive alone) so he did.
He had a big night, I had to work so didn't but early on he was rather tipsy (noticing a theme lol) and his pick up line went like this "So...are we going to have sex tonight?" charming huh? At this point I was still not really thinking of going there so it was a firm no. But he persisted lol. Anywho time came to go home and since I didn't have a car I just told his friends I was taking his and they could give him a lift BUT he refused to stay and wanted to leave with me. All the way home he insisted on staying the night with me, not really what I wanted so I proceeded to drop him off at his house except he virtually cavemaned me inside (carried me lol) and stole the keys so I couldn't leave! Talk about persistent. I stayed the night but I didn't succumb to his advances.

From there things slowly progressed. Over the next few months we fell into a casual but exclusive pattern. Casual in the sense there was no definition to what we had other than friends with benefits but exclusive in the sense neither of us were really exploring other options. For a long time it was just a bit of fun. Looking back now I was in love and attached a lot more than I'd care to express and I think he was the same. We gradually came to spend more and more time together. Our time spent together went from booty calls (from him) to spending day time together at the weekends. By Xmas of that year we were a couple - it was never really decided it just happened. In fact the first I knew of it was after spending every weekend with him he suddenly fell off the radar for 3wks and when he appeared again he told me he was sorry he hadn't really been a good boyfriend.

So we had a lovely wee time together from there. A time where for someone who didn't really want a girlfriend he was doing a good job of having a girlfriend! Then it happened. What I can say now was the worst 2mths of my life! I'd been away for a week on holiday and came home bursting to see my boy. He'd been a bit distant over the past wee while so I was looking forward to the absence making the heart grow ya know. Except I got back and within moments he was breaking up with me. He felt he was too old for me, that I needed to go live my life and that it just wasn't going anywhere.

I was devastated. A mess. I couldn't even tell my own mother I had to email her because it was just too hard. We remained friends to begin with. It helped at first then after awhile I just couldn't keep hanging out with him and watch him live his life without me so I slowly stepped back. I started to get on with my life and really started to believe I could live without the guy. I'd even hooked up with another guy and was keen on seeing where that went. Then one day I was out walking and he saw me walk past his house so called me over. I went because I'm not a rude person and he talked my ear off. Telling me all about what he'd been up, changes he'd made, plans he had. It was weird and I remember thinking - why tell me all this? I left but a couple nights later I get this call in the middle of the night. It was him. He started off with the small talk. Then he wanted to know if I would go with him the next day to a leaving party for one of his friends. Then he apologised and told me if he had another chance he would do everything differently. He would treat me better etc etc. At first I couldn't believe it. I really couldn't.

Evidently he picked me up the next night and we went out. I was DYING to talk about his phone call but didn't know how to bring it up so we just hung out then he dropped me home. This brought on another day of agony until I finally just text him and asked if he recalled his phone call. And you know what the little shit replied? "What phone call?". Well I just about lost it and replied something polite but in a shove it up your ass type way. Evidently he was just being his usual self and giving me shit. He made it up to me by cooking me dinner. I stayed with him that night and told him there was only one second chance and he promised he would be good to me. The way he held me that night,like he never wanted to let me go...ever, made me trust him.

And I'm glad I did. That was 5 years ago and we're still going strong. Naturally it hasn't all been beer and skittles it wouldn't be normal if it was all roses but we get on sooooo well and like I've said we make a good team.

Anywho that was probably rather boring to ya'll but it felt good to relive some of those memories.

2 comments:

  1. Nah not boring. Every person and every relationship had a story to tell. For most there is no romantic fairytale to be told and I think that is far more interesting than love at first sight and married two days later iykim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I love hearing about how others have met their partners. Always interesting. I don't think many people could honestly say they had love at first sight!

    ReplyDelete