Friday, 21 October 2011

Inspiration

Well I've just spent the week at the most amazing conference I have EVER been too. I came away absolutely inspired infact some of what I heard and saw has pushed me to make changes to my life.

The conference was focussed around IT and learning. We heard the most forward thinking people in education speak. We heard some amazing ideas about the use of technology, of embracing technology to teach our children. I left feeling proud to be in my profession and looking forward to next term.

Perhaps one thing I could share that I think has made a huge impact on my thinking was this fantanstic lady who spoke about develop.ing 21st cent.ury thinke.rs. She said that there is a line of life. You can choose to live under the line - this is like going to BED. You can Blame, Excuse, Deny learning that is try something new,fail and give up. Or make a mistake and stop there you can't learn anything by being in BED. OR you can live above the line - this is like an OAR. You take Ownership, Accountability, Responsibility for life. That is you take risks, fail and pick yourself back up and carrying on. I like to say you live above the line, grab that OAR and start paddling.

Live above the line.

It is simple. Sometimes you fall under the line for whatever reason but try to live above the line. However if you're willing to tell people to live above the line be prepared for someone to put that back in your face.

Does that make sense?

She also spoke about time. Teachers are great at claiming they don't have any time. Ballocks! EVERYONE has 24hrs in the day. EVERYONE!. Its how you choose to use it that counts. People say (and yes I'm one of these people!) "I haven't got time to exercise". She put it to us like this. If someone said to you this: If you do not exercise at least 3 times a week every week for 30mins a time then the ones you love will die what would you do?

Exercise. If your family was going to die you'd MAKE time to exercise. Great theory. Now to put that to practice.

So as you can see I'm inspired.

I can't wait to get to work and implement change and push my class to achieve their best in exciting ways.

On to other things. While I was there I got talking to a fellow teacher who had the same student teacher as I after me. In conversation I find out that said student teacher is pregnant.

(in the words of bleeding tulip)

*face palm*

It was hard to take. And it was BEFORE my inspirational speaker I might add so I sunk a little deeper into 'that' pain and 'that' place. I struggled to keep myself neutral and I just wanted to cry. I really had to pull myself back together otherwise it had the potential to ruin my conference.
Why was it so hard?
She has endo - quite bad. So actually its rather cool she got utd easily. But I can't help but feel cheated. For farksake. I mean come on its been 2 years! ARgggh. To make matters worst I recommended Felicity to her because I knew that she would benefit from her help. Her levels were WORSE than mine. And BANG she gets pregnant just. like. that.

Living above the line. I am determined to live above that bloody line. I'm sick to death of this shit ruling my life.

Yes ruling my life and it stops now. And feel free to remind me of this folks. I'm not angel and I know I will slip up nothing a gentle reminder can't fix.

My challenge to you - Can you live above the line too?

PS - Bleeding Tulip suggested I post pics when my flowers bloom. A great idea....I can't wait to show ya'll.

1 comment:

  1. -grin- I'm exhausted. Nothing coherent coming out of me tonight but I like...wait...LOVE this post. Just remember, for every endo chick there is a woman in seemingly perfect health struggling to understand why her bits don't work. The endo chicks of the world will never truly feel and experience a pregnancy the way you will. :-). <3

    ReplyDelete