Tuesday, 12 April 2011

Coming Out

All week I have been toying with the idea of 'coming out' about my problems getting pregnant on FB. I don't know why I feel its so important and I don't want it to be a big deal. I think what I want is for people to have a better appreciation of fertility and the challenges some people face. I don't think I need it to be about me and what I'm going through but more like letting others out there know they aren't alone. I've written a draft "note" on my FB profile which is below. I did this rather than status update as 1) its less in your face and 2) as you'll see made it less personal (or about me) Nobody tells you..... That unprotected sex doesn't necessarily lead to pregnancy. That your sex life would start to resemble a science experiment. That the longer you TTC, the more PG women spring up around you. That deep down inside, I can be a very jealous person. That living your life in 2 week increments would be the norm That you never knew how much you wanted to see those 2 pink lines......until only one shows up every month That simply relaxing will NOT get you pregnant. (your man has to do some work too) That you have no control over some of the goals you set... T hat wishing really hard for something doesn't make it happen. That a pregnancy doesn't always equal a baby. That miscarriage is so common. That it would help bring a group of wonderful, caring, funny, empathetic women together like this. That it wouldn't happen the first time you didn't use birth control like we were led to believe in school. That you wouldn't know how important a baby was to you until it took so long and you realized what you were willing to go through to make it happen. That it is insensitive to ask people when they are having a baby! That women who do get pregnant are so very blessed! That I could have been rich saving money on condoms and BCP, which were obviously unecessary. That it does not get easier, each cycle is harder than the last. Feeling like you wish your life away in 2 week increments. That infertility is more common than you think. That one day all of this will make us stronger. That there is sometimes darkness (infertility) before the light (a baby). That my temper and patience are much shorter than I ever thought. That infertility is not as rare as I was led to believe. That I would make so many new, wonderful friends who totally get how I feel because we all suffer from the same affliction of infertility. That it could hurt so much to lose your innocence. That there is nothing to aid conception in the water at work, despite what some may say. That some people just say the wrong things. That I would be so sad, and ashamed. That this would be, by far, one of the hardest things you will ever have to go through. That people would pity you and feel sorry for you. That I would stop fantasizing about having a baby because it stopped making me happy. That sometimes no amount of 'relaxing' is going to work. That I spent years trying not to get pregnant, and praying for my period. Now I can't seem to lose the witch! It's good to know I am not alone. That sex does NOT ALWAYs equal pregnancy or STD every time That your body has its own mind. That you would be keeping it a secret from everyone. That the broken heart you feel each month that is equal to the pain you feel when you lose a loved one. That you feel useless as a female That you feel stupid and naive for thinking a pregnancy would occur "when it was supposed to". To everyone who is 'fertility challenged'....don't hide anymore.


Something similar was posted on a forum I belong to so I just copied it and took out what didn't apply to me or what was too relative to the infertility community...I think what I mean is wouldn't make sense to general joe bloggs.


What makes me reluctant to take this step that I so want to take is that I don't want to come across as attention seeking or 'poor me' especially since we've only just glossed over finding out why it hasn't happened for us yet. Its not my intention at all.


So what do you think??? Should I jump and do this or just let sleeping dogs lie and get on with life? This week has been pretty good all round for me and facing my fears. On Saturday I went indoor rock-climbing with my netball team and climbed to the top 3 times!! I am TERRIFIED of heights and cried while doing my first climb so its huge! Then last night at training we did the beep test which if you're not aware is a type of running/fitness test. We had to aim to beat our last score...I went up 2 whole levels!! This is also huge. So I figure why not 'come out' on FB?


Let me know what ya reckon!


(PS - edited spacing..for some reason the spaces/linebreaks keep going away when I post!) (PPS - and evidently it keeps doing it!! Apologies for the hard to readness of it )

2 comments:

  1. You know I've been toying with the same idea. I did post my open letter to PETA last week as a note and only got a few nice responses but I did not outright say that I am facing IF and what the issues were. However since later on this month is IF Awareness Week I have thought about putting it out there.
    But I must admit, it scares me. I am worried that I'll get more than just a nice, supportive comment. I am worried about getting an ignorant person that will tell me it’s God's Way or it’s to help against overpopulation or that we should adopt. If I do it I want it to be for awareness and less please give advice like.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that you never know how people will react and if you are ok with educating a few people and can handle it if someone does not understand then I say do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say post it. I don't read this as "poor me". I read it as a cry to educate people about an important part of who we are and how we see this world. I know it's scary but the longer we hide in the dark the longer infertility holds this taboo power.

    ReplyDelete