Friday, 25 November 2011

Clubbing

As I mentioned in my prior post following the wedding we kiwi girls decided to give clubbing in the city a whirl.

Mmmm bit of a learning experience there.

We don't claim to be spring chickens by no means. In fact up until the weekend I thought I still had the groove and an actual interest in that scene. I loved my uni days partying up in the clubs. I love to dance.

Clearly having lived in my little country town for 7years I've lost touch. Dammit. I hate feeling old. Hate hate hate. Its right up there with hating my one lil grey hair.

Anywho. We get ourselves a taxi (30 odd dollars later!) and head into the city to meet up with our friends niece and nephew who happened to be in the city that same weekend. Managed to negotiate our way to the bar they were at, joined the line feeling rather sober and over dressed compared to some other patrons lined up. Anywho before we could get into the bar the niece and nephew along with their crew appeared outside and were on their way to another bar. Along the way to the other bar they started telling us about how bars there won't let people in with visible tattoos or a particular style of haircut....really? Haircuts? Bizzare. Anyway we turn onto this street which appears to be 'the' clubbing hub because there were fricking people EVERYWHERE. Drunk, barely dressed women and their men all over the show. Now we weren't exactly conservatively dressed by any means and are reasonably up with the fashion but whoa nelly our skirts covered our bums unlike some others!

So again we line up. One by one we are assessed by the bouncer, ID scanned, photo taken and the like. We get let one by one ceremoniously into this wonderful bar that people line up to enter. Walk up a ramp to a cash register...yep we had to pay $20 (you read that right) for the pleasure of this experience. Got a stamp on the arm and THEN the next guy had to check we had stamp when he was standing right there when we paid and got the friggin thing. I tell ya it was easier to get into the country than a bar. And don't get me wrong because I like I mentioned I haven't really done the whole clubbing thing in a city for a long time so it could be like this in our big cities too.

We're finally in this bar and there are actually two bars with two different sets of music playing so we pick one and have a dance. It was fun, the music was ok. It was amusing / revolting watching the couple(s) next to us practically shagging on the dance floor I was literally just waiting to see his slong pop out and her invite it in. Crude but true. Oh well you're only young once I suppose. Hmmm yes young would be the word to decribe the patrons lol.

We last approx 40mins before calling it quits and leaving the young ones to it. It was an expensive 40mins at that but an experience.

An experience that wasn't over.

Yep we still needed to get a taxi home. I've never seen anything like it. We asked around and found out the best place to get the taxi. Which happened to be the same place as 90% of everyone else attending the pubs that night. The line for a taxi was a whole block long. I kid you not. We were so over it by that point, I needed the loo, it was all turning to custard. We waited for about 5mins then by some small grace of the heavens we spotted a taxi across the road dropping people off. Off one of the girls sprinted across 4 lanes of traffic and got the ok for us. What a relief!

So that was clubbing in Adelaide. Fun fun fun.

Think I'll stick to house parties and the local bar these days.

1 comment:

  1. Total LMAO. You need a place like our Valley where as long as you're sober enough...well as long as you can walk...you can get in. If you were in Bris I would take you to the Bowery for a few good cocktails. :-) btw I don't think you're at all touristy for freaking out about a brown snake in te loo. The bulk of Aussies would pee their pants in the same circumstance! Lol

    ReplyDelete