Today was the day of our first councelling session.
I had no idea what to expect so totally exceeded my expectations. I guess I thought we'd go there they'd talk about the process of donor insemination, give us more nitty gritty details and away we'd go. And essentially they did that but we also had some good discussions about how to get our heads around it, contacts for other people who have been through it, ALL kinds of things. It took over an hour. Then we got to meet the donor co-ordinator after that. She was also LOVELY and really bubbly and enthusiastic (and pregnant...go figure no where is sacred). She took us through the things that we need to get done before we have treatment - vag swabs, bloods, second councelling session etc. She really encouraged us to get them done sooner rather than later so its on file (naturally she wasn't pressuring us if we weren't ready) and that means that when we get near the top and someone ahead of us hasn't got their stuff done and we have we get bumped up! Totally cool with that. And since I have time off soon thanks to the op I should be able to get it all sorted. The Fella has to have bloods too...why I'm unsure about and should have asked and probably will but that will be the part that is going to be tricky given he is FLAT out working. Was hard enough getting him to come today knowing that it was a stunning day perfect for working but he came and I'm thankful.
The clinic is so helpful and in fact so helpful that because we live so far away - over three hours - the councellor has offered to do a phone session next time and in the evening which is PERFECT because that way the Fella can work all day and then not have to travel to the appointment. Whoop whoop.
Its taken me a bit to process, in fact I'm still processing and will be until after I actually have it in the oven but I feel a bit more positive. I feel like it might actually happen. AND I almost forgot the best bit of all.....wait for it....wait for it.....the waiting time: about 6mths!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Weeeeeeeee made my day. I was originally told 12mths so half that time is GREAT. And it starts from day we went on list which was about 6wks ago so in theory there is less than 5mths to wait (roughly). I could potentially be through this by the time I'm 30. My dream could be realised.
I *deep breath* could have a baby by XMAS 13!!!!!!!!!!
Now I realise that this is a bit of a generous expectation but I need to be able to dream again. I haven't in a long time.
The wait time does not seem that bad when you factor in a recovery from surgery to distract me, summer holidays, a new year at school...that amount of time will fly by. It has however got me wondering about travelling to UK/Europe in May...I booked leave and I think I'll still go but the timing is bound to clash.
And I haven't debriefed with the Fella yet either so I'm not sure how he's feeling on all of this. He tends to have a little freak out moment everytime we go to one of these appointments so hopefully he's still ok with it all. I find that waiting for him to start a conversation about it is what has to happen to get him talking. He was really involved in the conversations and stuff and did a bit of the reading we got so I'm going to not over think it and take it at face value.
So yeah that's us. For now anywho.
Mind over load. Thanks for reading I really needed to get that out.
Pleased to hear its all moving along well for you guys. The men have to have blood tests to check they don't have anything nasty they could pass onto you. You will both probably have to repeat the blood tests just before the treatment to double check - thats what we had to do anyway. Did you get my email a while ago about our journey? Maryanne
ReplyDelete