Today my friends is the last day of our big long summer holiday. *Sad face*
Tomorrow I head back to work for another school year (or half lol). Admittedly I am looking forward to getting back into some kind of routine. I've been pretty slovenly really these holidays which is terrible when I should be looking after myself by keeping fit so when it comes to pushing this kid out my body will be prepared. So yeah with all the feeling sick, then not sick but blooming hot or tired I've been a bit out of kilter in that respect. Granted I have done some exercise, gardening and mowing lawns and the like but not as regularly as I would if I were not UTD.
Today I've been absolutely knackered due to working all day fundraising yesterday (12hrs about), then went to a birthday last night. I think an early night will be on the cards tonight.
*Before I start please note these are just my thoughts on working vs not working with children, I have nothing against people who put their children in care to work and fully understand the reasoning behind that*
Anywho going back to work is great but the hot question (aside from finding out what we're having) is whether or not I will go back to work after 12mths leave. I just can't see myself doing so, I really can't. As I've told The Fella I am not ruling out part time work 2-3 days per week because I don't want to completely lose touch with the world of education (it changes too quickly) and because I want to still earn my own money. I certainly don't want to be asking him for hand outs. NOT that I see it that way for people who live off one income but for us we don't have any shared accounts. He has his income and bank accounts and I have mine. We share some expenses eg he might pay for tyres on my car or I might purchase things for him not relating to the business. The main reason is his business and it would affect his taxes etc if we were to have a joint account. He covers mortgage and I cover day to day costs. It's a bit naughty of me that I haven't thought too far ahead in terms of how I will pay said bills once my 18wks paid leave is finished, however as a teacher we get 6wks lump sum full pay at the beginning of our leave so I should be ok for the most part.
So we've discussed this me working vs not working aspect and the Fella respects the fact that I feel the first 3 years are vital in a child's development and us caring for our child is the first and foremost priority rather than giving that care over to someone else while we work. Obviously if I plan to do a couple days per week care will be needed but depending on our schedule we may be able to make it work, especially over the winter. Ideally I'd like to be a SAHM until the child starts school (not ruling out that perhaps we'll get to have a second child too!).
One part of this whole leave thing that is bugging the hell out of me is that I kind of get the feeling my boss thinks I'm coming back after the 12mths and although I've applied for that amount of leave I haven't really indicated that I don't intend to return. I feel a bit guilty but I really need to keep my options open at this stage as I don't know if I'll still feel how I do now when the time comes or if there is a major change in our household earning potential (eg something happens to the Fella). I've given myself to this time next year to have decided what I'll do. I just don't like the idea of mucking around a workplace that has been amazing in my times of need.
Yeah that's where we're at with that. Like my SIL said yesterday - you didn't have a child for someone else to look after, especially after trying so long. And yep she is right.
No comments:
Post a Comment