So today is my last day of freedom so to speak. Schools back officially tomorrow. I mean sure I've been at work for a week or so now but that's nothing to when the kids finally arrive.
For some reason I'm nervous and anxious about going back. I really want to do things well this year and want the year to go well and have my class go well. So fingers crossed I guess...2011 needs to be my year.
Had a small conversation about testing with the fella last night. The friend who had IVF was telling me about a at home sperm testing kit that you can get so last night I did a little research online and while doing so told him about it. He was rather intrigued about how that worked and being a typical man starting thinking logistics. I mentioned to him what has to happen to do a lab sample which I think he'd already figured out. I told him what the doctor mentioned and what my friends husband did (she told me the other day he just did his sample in the hospital toilets). He didn't really have much of an opinion but I did ask him did he think he'd be able to do that, the hosp toilet thing, and I'm unsure what he really thought. But anyway it was a good conversation.
I feel a bit sorry for him really. I know everyone goes on about women's fertility testing being harder than for men and sure women have to deal with more testing and men not so much. However if I put myself in his shoes and imagine having to go into a strange toilet and get myself to orgasm then any testing I do is irrelevent. I know I would struggle to do that so I don't blame him for being reluctant.
So my plan is to order one of these at home jobs. To clarify the kits tests the sample for numbers of sperm and motility. It is a basic test which tells you positive or negative so for example if the test shows more than the recommended 'ok' level of sperm it shows positive and the same for motility. I am aware that these tests may not be reliable and one from a lab would be recommended but as my friend suggested I think we'll just do it and see what it shows. If it shows us some things on the negative side then perhaps I will be able to get him to do further testing.
On current ttc things this week is the week for ovulation. The 'signs' have started to arrive so mission on! I have my second bloods in a week tomorrow. I can't wait to get that done and dusted so I know where I'm at.
A busy week is ahead!
Ok I absolutely HAVE to play devil's advocate here. There is a reason why sperm tests are generally done in a lab. Apart from accuracy, sperm health is not just dictated by how many there are and whether they move. They also look at whether they are the right shape and swim the right way. If your bloke has super abundant sperm but they all have two tails and swim furiously around in large circles then you'll probably get a positive result on these home test and never get pregnant. Alternatively, he may have awesome numbers of sperm that swim in a straight line but they are structurally shocking and couldn't fertilise an egg armed with explosives. Not to mention the genetics....
ReplyDeletePut him through a home test that says AOK and he may well be reluctant to consider that there may well still be a problem down the track if/when you come up clean.
Realistically, he needs a set of bloods to rule out STDs and other fertility affecting diseases, hormone levels and blood chromosomes. Coupled of course with one sperm test. Then he's done and dusted. His testing is short and easy and a LOT less invasive than what will need to happen with you... not to mention a lot less expensive.
Yep, jacking off in a loo is not super pleasant but compared to being given dildo cam (which may be repeated on several occasions depending on what they find...on a very full bladder) and a then having someone whack a catheter up there to flush you out with blue dye while you cramp like a period gone balls up... give me jack in a loo one time any day!!!!
Things to think about before you dish out for a rather expensive home test....
Haha I appreciate you're insight GS and I knew you would offer your thoughts. I hadn't really thought about a lot of it properly and I think you're right about it not being the best thing to do..
ReplyDeleteI'm with GS. I think the first test needs to be accurate and looked at by a lab. I have considered ordering one and giving it a try but only because we already have a baseline.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like bringing it up a little at a time is helping your cause.