In an earlier post I mentioned a fb conversation I had the other day with some people we know about sperm donorship.
To recap we were joking around about lending him to me for a night, turkey baster style. Then they
said the offer was there.
Turns out they were serious. Like actually willing to do it for us. I just received another fb msg saying that they were prepared to be our donor, as long as no one knew. They couldn't imagine not having their kids and want to give that gift to us. It's so touching. I never expected that we'd ever have anyone actually offer to do this for us.
Now I'm at this crossroads of what to do. The Fella and I kind of discussed this the other day and he wasn't so keen on using someone we knew and neither am I. It's tempting of course and an easy option but in reality we could be at the top of the list by the time we've got it sorted privately anyway so....
I know they say it would be our child ... By law that's how it works anyway but it's be hard not to compare the kids and stuff.
What would you do?
A hard question to answer but try to put yourself in our shoes and think about what you'd do.
Been slack with my commenting but I have been reading along. This is such a tough decision. Personally I don't think I could use someone I knew as a donor. As you said, it would be hard not to compare the kids. Plus if they are good friends you would see them regularly, and to be honest I think that would be hard...and maybe a little awkward?! I'm not sure why I think that, but in my head I imagine it would be. Would it be hard on your fella seeing his mate and knowing that his child is part his? I can imagine if it was reversed and we needed donor eggs I would find it a little hard to see the donor if we used someone we knew.
ReplyDeleteI am sure the 2 of you will reach a decision that you both feel comfortable with. If that means waiting to get to the top of the donor list and using a stranger then so be it. But perhaps you might warm to the idea of using someone you know. Good luck xx