Wednesday, 29 August 2012

Home Alone

The Fella went away Monday night for work and isn't back until tomorrow. It is very rare for me to spend any more than this amount of time home alone. Normally its him here and I go away. Not to worry I've kept busy with various things. I've had plenty of school work to do so it was quite good timing he went away.

Been eating like shite though cos he's not here to tell me to not eat crap food like he always does.

Monday night I had a 2 hour skype date with one of my nearest and dearest. She's been soooo good to me over this awful time we've been having so I always look forward to hearing from here. And I'm bloody glad we caught up because she definitely needed a good debrief. She and her husband have been having some problems which at times have had them questioning their marriage! To say the least I was shocked. I was MC at their wedding and this is a couple who have been totally in love since they were about 15 years old. It makes me sad that there are problems now that they are having trouble working through. And it sucked even more because I couldn't do or say anything that remotely helped other than telling her I would be down to visit in the school holidays because clearly this girl needs some friend time. From the outside looking in it seems the some troubles at his work (he's a policeman) have triggered real stress which is now reflecting on their relationship, that and some poor drinking habits on his part. Thankfully she has a good relationship with his family and has reached out to his brother and parents who have in turn stages a kind of intervention and mediated a conversation between them as she had packed her bags and left to stay with her parents for a couple nights to cool off. Yep its pretty full on. And its plaguing my mind! I am so worried about them and their two children right now.
So a distraction but not the kind I wanted. I just want to march over there and shake him by the shoulders and force him to talk and think about what he's doing! However he's a man and doesn't talk...idiot.

But what can you do as the friend? I love them to bits and hope they can work it out.

And what else pisses me off is that its not fair that someone else has to be having a shit time of because I am already having a shit time and that should be enough for the universe.

Anyway....any advice would be appreciated on that front.

Not too much else to tell really. Have done a little bit more reading via our fertility specialist's website about donor insemination. Discovered that possibly we might be able to just do a monitored IUI which is like a 10th of the price. The Fella thought that was pretty good and figured even if we threw 5 grand at it, that would be ok and I figure we'll qualify for public funding IVF so might as well IUI while we wait.
Once again I'm trying to not over think it all however I've already starting considering what I should do as far as timing (if I get a choice). I figure the whole donor thing will take a bit of time to get going but once that's sorted I'd been trying to decide whether or not to delay anything until after my trip to Europe next May. Part of me could see it as sensible then other parts didn't want to wait. Then I spoke to the above friend about it and she told me to just go ahead and do it when I could and not wait. She travelled to Thailand at 15wks and she didn't seem to think it would be a problem.

This of course is assuming I even get pregnant in the first place before May! I'm thinking I agree with her and I couldn't live with myself if I decided not to go and then wasn't pregnant any way.

At first the idea of travelling so far away was really scary, but also something I've ALWAYS wanted to do and I know that I'll kick myself if I pass this opportunity up. So I'm going. End of story.

And that is the end of my story. I apologise for rambling... a lot. That's what you get when you've only had the company of your crazy cat for 3 nights.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, it looks like I can comment again! Hooray! I am sorry that your friend is having a rough time of it, I hope her husband gets his head back on straight. Being a cop must be extremely stressful though. I also agree with your friend, just go ahead and do it, nothing worse than regretting not having done something :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking as someone who has had some fairly serious marriage struggles... if both people are committed to being open and honest and communicating, I really do think that a couple can work through just about anything. In that, I am very lucky that Hubster is willing to be open and talk, and while he hates spending the money because he's really frugal, he is willing to go to counselors when we need it. I just say "What's more important? X amount of money, or our marriage?" and that usually helps. I also point out it's not forever, and it doesn't mean we are crazy, it just means we need some help. Don't know if any of that will help, but it's what I've got right now. I hope they can reconnect and work through the stresses. About half my family on my mother's side are alcoholics, it can be so devastating if people don't get the help they need.

    It sounds like there are some good options ahead of you with the IUI and IVF! I've been too paranoid to fly during my pregnancy, but I hate flying, and didn't have any great plans that it upset me to cancel. I hope you get pregnant and then get lots of great great pictures of you and your bump in Europe!!!

    ReplyDelete